*Featured Image: “Stop The Violence- Gun” By Robert Francois
#Guns and People Non Fiction Essay Contest!
Winners will be announced on Wednesday, July 25th, 2018!
We are now accepting submissions of 3,000 words or less to our special #Gun Memoir Award. Have you experienced first hand the effects of guns? Were you shot or have you witness a shooting? Has a gun saved your life? Whether you or someone you know has had a positive or negative experience with guns we want to hear your story about how a gun (or guns) impacted your life.
America love-hate relationship with guns, but mostly love. We have songs about them and we even have a law that protect our rights to own them. But what about the actual people? We want to hear from you! Tell us: Do you love or hate guns? Do you own guns? If so,why? What is your relationship to them? With 345 mass shootings, 2017 has been deemed the deadliest year for mass shootings in modern US history. Yet, guns protect people everyday.
Your story matters and Memoir Magazine wants to hear your gun story, warts and all. Why? Because Memoir is a way of cultivating global consciousness. And few issues today require more enlightenment than the way guns affect people and society. Let’s ignite a conversation. Your essay may be humorous, sad, upsetting. Enlighten us.
Pseudonyms are allowed.
$350 in prizes + publication in Memoir Magazine, and a note from our judge on why the story was chosen. Short and Long listed applicants will be considered for publication.
We look forward to reading your work!
- Submissions are now open until midnight on Deadline Extended May 15th, 2018
- 100 word min. 3000 word max
- NonFiction only
- Open to all writers. Emerging writers and underrepresented voices voices are encouraged to submit!
- $12 to enter
- Previously published work is welcome!
- One story per submission
- Multiple and simultaneous submissions are allowed, but please notify us if your story is accepted elsewhere
- International submissions welcome
- All contest entries are automatically submitted for standard nonfiction publication with editors of Memoir Magazine
“I had a dream that the world changed, and for a minute there was no pain.” – Machine Gun Kelly
Stories, Submissions Deadlines, Contests, and MORE
Short, sweet and infrequent! Stay up-to-date with curated content, links to book reviews, interviews, craft essays, contest and submission announcements, and other excellent resources for memoir writers! All for FREE!